- You Are Here:
- Provo City
- Provo City Government
- Public Works
- Public Services
- Current Recycling Information
- Yard Waste Recycling Program
Yard Waste Recycling Program
To participate in curbside yard waste recycling (green can), please call 801-852-6000.
- Yard and green waste include: grass clippings, branches, food scraps, etc. See yard waste and green waste recycling guide.
- Weekly pick up from March - November on the same day as regular garbage. See pick up schedule.
- Only $4.75 per month - added to utility bill.
- A significant cost savings per month compared to using an additional black can.
- Keeps yard waste out of landfill.
- Saves $34 per ton tipping fees at transfer station.
- Yard waste is recycled into compost.
- All yard waste collected is composted and turned into a valuable soil amendment (compost).
- Yard waste cans are dumped weekly (40 dumps per year) compared to 26 dumps for blue can recycle bi-weekly pick up. A Better Value!
Important to know
- Because plastic makes the compost undesirable, only paper compostable yard waste bags are now accepted. If you wish to bag yard waste to help the load slide out more easily when the waste is collected, only paper compostable bags may be used. Compostable paper bags may be purchased at hardware stores.
- Household trash, animal waste, concrete, rocks, lumber, dirt, and sod are unacceptable items. A fee may be assessed for any unacceptable items. See yard and green waste recycling guide.
- Set out container by 6:00 a.m. or the night before your collection day is suggested. Yard waste cans are collected the same day as your regular trash pick up.
- Everything we pick up needs to be in the can. The lid must close.
- Make sure the cans are away from parked vehicles, mailboxes, trees, etc. When possible, make sure that containers are spaced approximately 3 feet apart and have at least 3 feet of clearance on all sides, and 10 feet of clearance above.
- $10 charge to have driver come back if can was not out on time. Arrangements can be made for extra garbage pick up.
- No garbage is allowed in green yard waste cans. $15 fine if garbge is found in green cans.
- Questions? Please refer to yard and green waste recycling guide or call Customer Service at 801-852-6000.
Other Recycling Programs